Cambridge Double Trouble + completing the 26


So this past weekend I went off to Cambridge to play in one of my favourite tournaments - the Cambridge Double Trouble.   I was teamed up with my buddy Andrew and we were both taking Khorne - we had worked things out so that we were both completing using all 26 NAF registed teams as this tournament as we thought it would be a nice way to round off going to so many tournaments together.  Quite a lot of our gaming mates were attending including our friend Gary who was staying over - so we opted to stay at the same place so we could all go out for a curry on the Saturday night.  Doubles skills were the order of the day for this tournament so we chucked together some rosters and headed off.  I'd played a couple of practice matches and had decided on the following roster :

1 x Bloodthirster
2 x Heralds (one with Leader)
9 x Pit Fighters (four with Guard)
2 x Rerolls
1 x FF

It was a late start for the gaming as it was the Rugby World Cup final and everyone wanted to watch that - so we didn't start playing until around 11:30.  For my first game I was playing against GreyMurphy42 and we've played a number of times, including the last tournament I went to.  He was using Dark Elves again for this one although this time he had a multiple block assassin which was really annoying!  The git kep stabbing everyone within reach and I just couldn't kill the swine!  The game ended 1-1 which I was pretty happy with as I was up against it all game.

For game two I was drawn against our friend Pete W who was teamed up with his son Thomas.  He and Thomas play in a team at the UK Team Challenge with Andrew and his son.  Pete is an excellent player and he was using an eccletic Vampire roster with no vampires!  He had Count Luthor, Wilhelm Chaney and a bunch of thralls - and six of those thralls had Guard.  It was an absolute nightmare to play against and what made it worse was that I just couldn't cause a single injury to anyone.  The game ended 2-1 and I think I got away quite lightly to be honest!

For the final game of the day, I was playing against a chap who plays in Colchester called MonkeyRage with a Skaven team.  This game went well for me however and I got quite a lot of luck and was 2-0 up by half time.  He got one touchdown back but I scored again to finish the game 3-1.  So I finished the day with a 1-1-1 tally as did Andrew - and as a team we'd done the same too.  Purplegoo had awarded us our Khorne patches to congratulate us for completing the 26 and we  headed off the hotel to dump our gear, jumped in a taxi and headed off the the resturant for a curry with the rest of the crew.

Sunday morning arrived and, after a breakfast at the hotel, we headed off to the venue again to carry on with the Blood Bowl shenanigans.  We we drawn against our HEBBL buddies James and Graeme and I was facing James' Norse team.  He'd brought Wilhelm Chaney (2nd time facing that hairy git!) and before I knew it, I had three players off the pitch and I was 1-0 down.  For the 2nd half though my dice behaved better and I was doing okay.  I managed to do some nice chainpushing too which allowed me to ge the Bloodthirster free so he could blitz Wilhelm Chaney to get the ball off him - which then allowed me to equalise.  I had to defend the draw after that but the game ended 1-1.


For the fifth game we were down in the three-way split at the bottom of the table - I was facing Knowmad using his Dwarf team.  He'd given Dodge to both Blitzers and Sidestep to a Trollslayer - but luckily for me I managed to take out one of his Blitzers quite early and KO'd his Runner so he was men down while my guys were still running around.  He had terrible luck breaking armour and I seemed to break his armour whenever I needed it - so the game ended 3-0 to me which I was quite pleased about.

For the final game, I was playing against Mr_Zay and his Dark Elf team.  He was a good coach who'd won his first three games and lost all those up until our game on the second day.  So he was looking for a fourth win and I wasn't too worried as I'd be happy even if I lost.  As it happened, this was another game where my team just couldn't break armour so I was struggling from the off.  We battled it out and he stopped me from scoring in the first half - and I did my best to do the same to him despite being men down.  The best move I did of that game was to manage to do some dodging to blitz his Runner who messed up his Dump Off which allowed me to dodge out, grab the ball and throw it up field.  Unfortunately it was not quite enough to stop him and he scored to end the game 1-0 to him.

As the tournament ended I'd gone 2-2-2 which I was pretty happy about especially with a sub-par roster like Khorne - everyone on my team had Frenzy which is a bit of a nightmare to control.  Looking at the results, I finished 15th out of 30 coaches so I'm very chuffed about that.

So there we have it - my quest to finished the 26 is complete and I can now use Tier 1 teams with impunity!