Cambridge Double Trouble VI

My final tournament of the year took place this weekend - the Cambridge Double Trouble VI.  CamDub as it's affectionately known is run by current NAF tournament director Purplegoo and his buddy Schemee (Phil and Michael) and it's always been one of my favourite tourneys.  Being at the end of the year, it's normally the last tournament I get to go to.  As it's held in a room above a pub, there's nice food and beer so it's quite a chilled out event.  Lots of good coaches do take part though including some of the guys who came all the way down from Newcastle for it.

It's a doubles tournament so you team up with someone else and as an additional switch, you can only allocate doubles skills to your players.  I thought it might be good to bring Norse as they all start (mostly) with the Block skill and my team rating was sitting at under 150 from the first time I used them way back in 2014 when I first painted them.  I was teamed up with my friend Mr Frodo who had a bit of a busy week and decided at the last minute to bring Goblins.

My roster for this was :

1 x Norse Werewolf
1 x Catcher
1 x Yhetee
10 x Linemen (3 with Guard)
3 x rerolls
Apothecary
1 x FF
1 x Cheerleaders
1 x Assistant Coach

For our first game, we were up against Purplegoo himself and his team mate Wotfudboy - who was my team mate and the EuroBowl!  I was playing against Gary's Chaos Pact team and Andrew was facing Phil's Skaven.  I forgot to mention it to Gary when we were playing but this match was my 200th NAF ranked tournament game.  Everything went okay for me in this one and Gary had some really rough luck so it ended 2-0 to me and 3-1 on casualties.



For game two I was playing against SimonSpank who was playing Ogres.  He went 1-0 up on me pretty early on after throwing his star player Scrappa Sorehead with an ogre.  I hadn't realised that Scrappa had Right Stuff so I hadn't set up to defend against that.  It was a really close game - I'd pulled back two touchdowns and it was down to Simon to try another thrown TD - all Scrappa needed to do was make a GFI to get an equaliser but he fell over when he tried it.  That game ended 2-1 to me and a punishing 4-4 on casualties.



Final game of the day and I was taking on Gorgoroth and his Halflings which featured Zara the Slayer.  We had a real battle on this one with my team taking out halflings all over the place.  I did manage to do some decent work on this one and the game ended 2-0 and 5-1 on casualties.

For day two, my first game was against BillyDee who's been someone I've met lots of times from local tournaments - Geoff is a great guy who's been working his way through all the NAF teams one at a time.  When he was at the STABB Cup in September he completed his 24 - so for CamDub his was using team 25 with Bretonnians.  I'd never played against Brets in a tournament before so it was and interesting game but I managed to keep taking out his linemen.  The game ended 2-0 to me and 4-0 on casualties.



After four wins I knew I was pushing my luck and unfortunately luck decided to push back as I was drawn against Besters in game 5.  I've played more games against Jim that any other coach and I've only managed to beat him twice!  Today wasn't the day to make it a third though as he was using Lizardmen and I just couldn't break skink armour which was a shame as they were the players capable of scoring.  Jim went 1-0 up after turning me over and I was close to making it a draw but Jim got another touchdown despite my best endeavours.  The game ended a 0-2 loss and I also lost 2-4 on casualties.

For the final game of the weekend I was playing against one of the guys who'd come down from Newcastle - Warka who was using Undead.  We had a really good scrap in this game and it was the closest game of the whole tournament.  We finished 1-1 for the score and 1-1 on casualties.

With a final tally of 4-1-1 this was actually my best ever tournament weekend as the only other time I've managed to get four wins saw me lose the other two.  I think I will have easily gone back over the 150 with Norse now.  I'd scored 19 casualties so I managed to get the Most Casualties award for that (a copy of Spike Magazine 2).  Andrew and I finished joint 5th out of the 11 teams and I finished 4th in the individual standard.  A cracking weekend to end my 2018 Blood Bowl season for sure.  Here's hoping that the Blood Bowl games I play in 2019 will be as fun as the games I played at CamDub!