Crunchtime

First off, I should say that the Carrot Crunch tournament, run by Rodders and Magic Dave, is one of the most relaxed events I've been too.  £20 for six games of Blood Bowl over two days against some of the best tournament coaches in Europe - with free drink and food into the bargain.  It really helped that it was a lovely sunny weekend too!  If I can make the Bunker Bowl half as good as their tournament, I will be happy.

As for the games...

Day 1 kicked off okay - I was drawn against a nice guy with a Pro Elf team.  I got lucky on that game as I managed to stop him winning on the last throw of the ball - my gutter runner intercepted it to keep the game 1-1.  For game two, I was up against an unusual Undead team, with no mummies or rerolls!  He did have a lot of ghouls and lots of his players had been given extra skills (hence being unable to afford rerolls!)  The lack of rerolls really hurt him despite his faith in the pro skill - I won 3-0.  For my final game of the day, I found myself facing Lycos, president of the NAF and the man who's played more ranked tournament games than anyone else in the world.  Bugger...  Dave is a top bloke though and it was really nice to have a chance to chat to him face to face for once.  I did my best not to make it easy for him but his Dwarfs crushed my poor little Skaven bones and he won 2-1.  There's no shame in losing to Lycos so I was happy with my first day.

Day 2 and I was at the event nice and early, eager to get going.  As it happened, I was drawn to play my mate Paul Winter, fellow Bunker committee member and another Skaven player.  Paul will want to forget that game.  I won 4-1 and caused 6 casualties to his 2.  My best result of the weeknd and Paul's worst!  With that win under my belt, game 5 saw me facing Jim Slater who won the Bunker Bowl last year.  Jim was using Wood Elves so with me using Skaven, we were expecting a high scoring match - but it didn't happen that way and it turned into a tense tactical game.  Jim won the game 2-1 with him scoring on his turn 16 so I had to be happy that I'd had a decent game against a very good tactical coach.  For my last game, I was drawn against Tom Simms, another Bunker member and someone who'd given me a tournament test game a few weeks back.  That day I managed to beat his Norse team 5-0 - but today was the day he got his payback!  His team blocked and blitzed by Skaven out of their socks and I couldn't do anything to stop him.  He won 2-0 and crushed by rats utterly - I only had two left on the pitch at the end of the game, both of them flat on their faces!  Tom played a great game and deserved the win so I was chuffed for him.

My final tally for the weekend - two wins, one draw and three losses putting me in 21st place out of 39 players.  I had a great weekend though and will certainly attend again next year.