Dystopian Wars Campaign - Week 1


The first night of the Dystopian Wars campaign kicked off at the Chelmsford Bunker last night and, as you can see from the picture above, we had a whole ocean filled with ships trading shots across the waves.  There were four games played overall; my Prussians against a Britannian fleet, a French force again some Russians, another French fleet taking on a Federated States of America force and a big game with my mate Rodders' Empire of the Blazing Sun fleet taking on Paul's bright red Brittanians.

The campaign structure gives players a choice between playing a specific mission or choosing a starter fleet battle - which is what my game was as neither I or my opponent had enough painted models to do a larger mission.  When we rolled for objectives, I was given the target of destroying at least 50% of my opponents points value and also to sink all medium sized models (his cruisers and bombers) whilst my opponent had to kill 50% and take out all my small vessels (my three units of frigates)  When I was deploying my forces, I left one unit of frigates at the back of the board and just kept them out of the way to force my opponent to chase them (the three frigates in the bottom left of the photo).  Luckily for me, he had deployed his cruisers and bombers close together - so I just had to clear a few of his frigates out of the way to allow my cruisers and battleship to close in on them.  This tactic paid off - although he took out all but one of my frigates, he hadn't managed to do over 50% damage to my fleet.  I destroyed his bombers, a unit of frigates and pounded his cruisers to pieces.  The last dice were thrown when my two bombers flew over his last two damaged cruisers and dropped bombs on them, wiping them out.  All he had left was his battleship and a unit of frigates.  So - a fairly convincing win for the Prussians!

My allies in the campaign didn't do as well unfortunately - Rodders and Paul knocked seven bells out of each other's fleets and came away with a draw whilst both French fleets were lost.  This gives the Grand Coalition 12 campaign points and the Imperial Bond just eight.  It's still all to play for!