Start of a new Blood Bowl season

CBBBL VIII has started at the Chelmsford Bunker at last.  This is the Blood Bowl league that I have run at the club since I started it with a friend back in 2006.  We both loved playing Blood Bowl but wanted to get some more regular gaming going rather than just the odd stand alone game that was being played.  I downloaded and Excel spread sheet that could be used to manage the team point tracking and we started off with a pro division for people who had played it before and a rookie division for complete newbies.  To encourage people to join in, I bought several Blood Bowl sets and a load of Block dice so that all new coaches had to do was buy and paint a team and get playing.  The league ran for about four months and was very successful; by the end of it we had a lot of coaches who really knew the rules.  This led onto the next season only having one big division for everyone.

Since those days the league has developed to having a more formalised structure but with less formalised games.  As it's hard for people to make every meeting the rules were changed so that you could play a maximum of ten games against different coaches which you arrange yourself.  The only problem with this is that less experienced coaches have a rough time and then tend to drop out half way through.

So for this season, I have updated the league rules to have two divisions, Premier and Championship.  The Premier division has all the experienced Blood Bowl coaches using good teams whilst the Championship is comprised of less experienced coaches.  To bump up the numbers in the Championship, I am letting the experienced coaches take part but only allowing them to use stunty teams (Goblin, Halfling and Ogre).   I've also brought in a structured round robin format so there are no options for cherry picking the new coaches or weaker teams. I'll have to see how this works but I'm hopefully it will all go smoothly.

I am using an Undead team in the Premier division and a Goblin team in the Championship.  I've created a mini-blog page to keep track of their progress through the season. You can take a look at it here : http://foulinggriffons.blogspot.co.uk