New Blood Bowl Pitch by Deep Cut Studios


I had a league Blood Bowl match last night and it was a great chance to try out a new design of mouse mat style Blood Bowl pitch that Deep Cut Studios are making.

Deep Cut Studios had made a post on the Blood Bowl Community page on Facebook asking for people to write in and ask to test their new design of pitch - they wanted to send some out for free so that they could be reviewed.  I was lucky enough to be one of the people that spotted it first!  Last week, a parcel from Lithuania arrived and I had this lovely pitch to try out.

I have given some feed back on it already before this game as there were a few things I felt needed improvement.  The orientation of the turn and reroll markers makes the pitch more suited to using the pitch sideways - and the scatter templates are a different orientation to the turn/reroll markings which is a little strange.  There isn't a score marker at all which isn't a terrible problem unless you're using Wood Elves.  Slightly more of a concern are the markings in the pitch which separate the parts of the pitch - as they increase the distance between the squares.  This means that anyone using a throwing template over one of these will not be throwing as far as they should.  Not show stoppers though.

I wanted to try the pitch in action though just to see how it worked when playing.  I was very impressed.  As it's a mouse mat material, I had to place it sideways on the table as that's the only way I could fit it on using the tables at my gaming club.  Normally the GW pitches are used and they are used end-to-end with a slight overhang.  My opponent and I found this no problem as we are used to playing sideways as we both play on FUMBBL.  The real benefit to this material is that the pitch does not slip or move.  You can't accidentally catch it and move the models.  Even if you jogged the table, the surface of the mat is quite grippy so the minis won't move around.  What we also found was that it was quite nice rolling dice on the mat.  It's slightly bouncy and the dice roll better on it than on the old cardboard pitches.  It even smelled nice too!

So - a total win for the Deep Cut Studios pitch and, as it happened, for my Undead team.  Bonus!

Last year I got one of the FF-Field pitches - which is wonderful but wasn't cheap. These Deep Cup pitches are just as nice but they are far cheaper - about £24 total including postage (the pitch on it's own is only £14).  Definitely worth the cost for sure.