Cam Dub V - the results

This weekend I went to one of my favourite Blood Bowl tournaments - the Cambridge Double Trouble.  It's a two-day tournament where you play in a two-man team - so I teamed up with my mate Andrew again.  Usually I try to pick a team I haven't used before so I can paint up a team and use them - but the Cam Dub has an unusual skill selection pack where you can only take doubles skills.  My remaining teams as part of the quest to use all 24 NAF registered teams in NAF tournaments are Chaos Pact and Wood Elves - and I'm saving Wood Elves for the NAF Champions next may (so Andrew and I can complete our 24 at the same time).  That left Chaos Pact as a potential team - but apart from having the chance to take Block on the three big guys, I didn't think they would do that well so I opted to use a team I haven't used since 2011 - Skaven.  They were allowed four doubles skills so I took the following 1.1 mil roster :

1 x Thrower - Extra Arms
2 x Blitzers
4 x Gutter Runners - Guard, Two Heads, Horns
4 x Linerats
1 x Rat Ogre
3 x rerolls


My first game was against Christian Huber (known as Candlejack in the Blood Bowl world) who had flown over from Munich for this weekend.  He was an absolutely lovely chap to chat with and play against but his Human team with lots of Guard linemen really did stop my Skaven in their tracks.  I lost that game 2-0.

Candlejack

Game two and I was up against Lycos, ex-NAF president, using his Halflings.  He wasn't having the best of weekends or he wouldn't have been playing against me.  It was a close game but Dave's luck just kept deserting him.  A 2-1 win for me and the first time I've ever beaten Lycos.

Game three and I found myself drawn against Vmcat - another friend who I've played a couple of times in other tournaments.  He was using Khemri and he'd given his four Tomb Guardians the Block skill so i was expecting a proper duffing.  I received the ball and scored in a couple of turns which was exactly what Val wanted as it mean he could equalise and then try to grind down the pitch in the second half.  Thankfully, my gutter runners saw things differently as they went absolutely mental and pulled off some ridiculous shenanigans.  At half time I was 2-0 up and then things just got worse for Val.  Close to the end of the game I was 4-0 up and nearly got another - an interception by a Khemri skeleton managed to stop that happening.  A 4-0 win was quite nice though!

Day two and Andrew and I were on the top table somehow - I was taking on Peo2223 with his Norse team.  As happened with the game against the Khemri, I received and scored quickly which left Peo a chance to cage up and move down the field.  In an act of desperation, I marked the corners of his cage, then tried dodging in my Horn gutter runner on a 5+ which worked perfectly - the one dice block came up as a POW, killed the ball carrier, then had the ball scatter out of the cage.  My Two Heads runner dived through a load of tackle zones, picked up the ball and threw it to a Blitzer who was in a tackle zone himself.  He then caught it on a 4+ and made a dodge away to hand it off to a Thrower who was also in a tackle zone.  He still caught it - and then failed his dodge away.  I did manage to go 2-0 before half time but he pulled back one himself just before the end.  For the 2nd half, my players started to disappear and I had a hard time containing them so he managed to get an equaliser as the end of the game.  So a 2-2 draw which was fair enough.

Game 5 and i was playing someone who was in his first Blood Bowl tournament - he'd started playing in May this year.  He was using Dark Elves and he wasn't  a bad player at all - but he was having dreadful luck with his dice rolls.  Between us I think we rolled seven or eight double skulls the whole game.  We both lost players everywhere but my gutter runners did what gutter runners do and I eventually won 2-0.

Final game and I found I was playing Besters using Underworld.  I've only ever beaten Jim once and he was using stunties - so I did fancy my chances here.  It just wasn't to be though.  I managed to take out both his Blitzers (one with Leader) but, as it turned out, he didn't need to use rerolls anyway as he didn't fail any dice rolls.  Final tally was 2-1 to Jim.

So a pretty decent three wins, one draw and two losses from the weekend - I had been hoping to get four wins if I could as it's something I've never managed yet.  Andrew and I finished 5th overall as a team and I ended 8th individually.  I also got Most Touchdowns which was nice.

That's it for Blood Bowl for me for this year - my next tournament is in March with Boudica Bowl where I will be taking Chaos Pact for sure.