London Blood Bowl Grand Tournament 2018


This weekend I went to the London Blood Bowl Grand Tournament which was an event held at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford (the home of West Ham and the site of the 2012 Olympics).  It was a big tournament featuring a lot of different gaming systems; 40K, Age of Sigmar, Necromunda, Warmaster and, of course, Blood Bowl.  We were playing five games over the two days and I wanted to try taking my Wood Elves again although this time without a Treeman to see which I preferred.

My roster was similar to the NAF Championship except instead of the Treeman I took a lineman and an extra reroll :

2 x Wardancers (Strip Ball and Frenzy)
1 x Thrower (Leader)
3 x Catchers (2 x Block and Sure Hands)
5 x Linemen
2 x Rerolls
1 x Apothecary

As there were a lot of attendees going with big army cases, it took ages getting through security so the games were late to start but I was drawn against another Wood Elf team in my first game.  We had a really entertaining and close game and we finished on a 3-3 draw.

Game two and I was facing a Pro Elf team (Elven Union team to any new readers!) and again this was a good fun game.  I couldn't stop his catchers scoring but I managed to get a 3-2 win over them in the end.

Game three and I was drawn against a Human team featuring Puggy Baconbreath - my favourite star player!  I did well in controlling this game and as my opponent was still pretty green to the game, I did coach him a little to help him out.  This game ended 3-0 to me.

On day two we came back and I was drawn against my buddy Courtney who was doing brilliantly with his Goblin team which had Ripper playing for them.  We had one of the most fun and fantastic games I've ever played.  I went 2-0 up in the first half and he managed to pull one back early in the 2nd half.  When he kicked to me, my thrower fumbled the ball and Courtney managed to throw his Doom Diver down the field - who then landed, ran in, picked up the ball in a tackle zone, dodged away and GFI'd twice to equalise.  With three turns left I had to try to get my Wood Elves to do something amazing and they pulled off some razzle dazzle in the last turn to win the game 3-2.

In the final game I was drawn against one of the tournament organisers that I know really well using his Norse team.  Norse are glass hammers - their either really fragile and get destroyed or they smash everything in their path.  Yogi brought down the hammer on my Wood Elves for sure!  I had so few players that I couldn't do much apart from try desperate plays and I lost this one 2-1.

After everything, my Wood Elves won the Best Offence award (most touchdowns) with 13 which was pretty cool.  3-1-1 was okay!  I think I will use the Treeman roster next time I use Wood Elves though - which will be at the EurOpen in October.  I had to leave early before the trophies were given out but it seems that I won a medal.  So I'm sure that that classifies me as an Olympian as I won it at the Olympic Stadium :)


My medal and prize for Most Touchdowns was sent to me :)